Inspection Procedures 

Inspection requests will be accepted by e-mail ONLY. (We still do not accept same day inspections, please indicate the date on which you would like the inspection to take place).
The email will need to provide: 

1. Date you would like the inspection to take place 
2. The permit number
3. The project address
4. The Contractor's name and phone number
5. The inspection code the inspection request

Permit Application Submittals

All permits can be submitted via dropbox located in the front of the Community Improvement office where they will be collected at the end of each day or sent by email or fax. OR (727)-381-4819

Payment will be collected by credit card over the phone and all permit placards, job documents, inspection codes and procedures will be sent to the email that you provide on the application. 

    All work must comply with Florida Building Code 2020 7th Edition 

When do I need a permit

The following list contains examples of the most common types of permits. This list is not all inclusive.  If you are not sure if a permit is required for a specific activity, please call the Community Improvement Department at 727-343-4192.

How do I get a permit?

Permit applications can be found on the homepage. Click the link that says Applications/Forms. 

Permits are issued by the Community Improvement Department, which is located at 6940 Hibiscus Avenue South, South Pasadena, FL 33707. Under normal circumstances, the permit office is open Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Please note permits are only issued until 3:00 p.m.

You may contact us by calling the office at (727) 343-4192. On some simple jobs, a permit may be obtained during the first visit. However, in most circumstances, more time will be needed to review the plans in detail prior to issuing any permits.

Permits can be paid via check or card. The Department does NOT accept cash payments any longer. 

What is the cost of a permit?

Changes To Fees

Beginning April 1, 2022 

Per Ordinance 2022-01

All building permit applications that require plan review will pay a plan review fee equal to 50% of the building permit fee.  

A minimum convenience fee of $3.00 per credit card

transaction or 3%, whichever is higher.

Permit fees are based off of labor and materials, your contract price. $70.00 for the first $1,000.00 of work and then $20.00 for each additional $1,000.00 of work. Once you get this base fee, you would multiply it by 2.5% and that would be your total permit cost. 

What happens if I build without a permit?

If you begin demolition or construction without the required permit(s), a "stop work order" will be issued by an inspector.  You will be required to apply for the after the fact permit(s) and pay additional fees ( double the amount of the original permit fee). After the permit has been properly issued, you will then be required to uncover any work that has been covered so that it may be inspected prior to the release of the "stop work order". In some cases, regulations or codes may not permit the type of construction that has been done. In this case, you may be required to replace or restore the area to its original condition prior to your construction.

When do I need an Asbestos Abatement Survey completed? 

Asbestos is a natural mineral known to have been used extensively in insulation, fireproofing, sound proofing and other building materials. While many assume that it is no longer used, asbestos is still being manufactured and used today and can be found in many materials such as: 

  • Acoustical plaster 
  • Adhesives 
  • Base flashing 
  • Blown-insulation/wiring insulation 
  • Caulking/Putty 
  • Ceiling tiles 
  • Lay-in panels 
  • Cement pipes 
  • Cement siding 
  • Cement wallboard 
  • Decorative plaster 
  • Duct work connections 
  • Electrical cloth/partitions 
  • Fire doors/Fire proofing materials 
  • Exterior building coatings/panels 
  • High temperature gaskets 
  • Spackle/joint/taping compounds 
  • Mastic (floor, tile, carpet, cove base, mirror, etc.) 
  • Packing materials 
  • Pipe insulation 
  • Roofing shingles 
  • Popcorn/textured ceiling treatment 
  • Spray applied insulation 
  • Textured paints and coatings 
  • Vinyl sheet flooring/rolled vinyl floors 
  • Vinyl wall or floor coverings 
  • Wallboard

In accordance with Pinellas County Air Quality, the City of South Pasadena requires that an asbestos abatement survey be completed ANY time there is renovation or demolotion within commercial and institutional structures. Under certain circumstances, a single-family residential home, or an apartment building with four (4) dwellings or less, may be exempt from specific asbestos requirements but you must first contact Pinellas County, Air Quality Division to verify if your project or structure meets these exemptions. (727)-464-4422


Be sure to only hire licensed contractors when having work done at your house, condo unit or business. All contractors must REGISTER with the City of South Pasadena at the Community Improvement Department before they can work in the City or be issued a permit in the City. This is done to ensure that only qualified licensed and insured contractors are doing work for the residents of our community. Remember, it is your responsibility to make sure that a permit has been obtained prior to work being started. If there are any questions as to whether or not a permit is necessary please do not hesitate to contact the Community Improvement Department at 343-4192 between the hours of 7:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m.

All work must comply with Florida Building Code 2020 7th Edition 

How to choose a contractor:

Florida Department of Business & Professional Regulation

Pinellas County Construction Licensing Board